Sunday, January 17, 2010

ZDRAVO!

Blog Entry
#1
Macedonia
15. January

Zdravo! (That’s hi in Macedonian)

After a long five months of planning and build up, I’ve arrived in Skopje!

The week I spent in Berlin was the perfect transition period between my hectic life in Seattle and this new job and environment. I spent my time visiting old favorite spots, discovering new ones and of course, catching up with friends. The weather was Alaska-esque (but with even MORE snow) and to be honest, it was quite nice to get off the plane this afternoon in Skopje to balmy 40-degree weather!

Crazy day though – never before has the advice to always keep a sense of humor held truer. I woke up early to catch my 9am flight, but when I got to the airport, I discovered that my reservation had been canceled due to something wrong with my credit card when I bought the ticket. (Strange since the ticket I bought the same day for Seattle-Berlin went through) In any case, I bought another ticket with a different airline and flew through Budapest instead of Vienna! Of course, my bags were also overweight, so needless to say, by the time I finally got in the air around 10, I was exhausted already. :]

When I got in, two of my new colleagues were there to meet me at the airport, one of whom was Sanja, a recent uni graduate who is also an intern at the office. They took me to my new flat, helped me exchange money and got me a cell phone. I think I’m more set up after four hours in the country than I was after my first week in Berlin! We then swung by the office – only about a 15-minute walk from my apartment – where I met my supervisor and other coworkers and got a short tour. Everyone I’ve met has been incredibly friendly and welcoming, asking about my flight, time in Berlin, and even offering to take me on a city tour tomorrow!

I am now relaxing in my new apartment. I went grocery shopping, made dinner and am now watching Grey’s Anatomy in English with Macedonian sub-titles! I remember these days when I first got to Bremen in high school- writing down small words that I can correspond with my native language: yes, no, hi, good, mother, father, night, day, who, fine, excuse me, etc. I feel like an infant again and I know that I may become frustrated, but the beginning of a new language is always the most fun- I see the most rapid improvement!

While I’m here, I’m living with another intern, but she doesn’t arrive until next week, which is kind of nice to settle in on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment